Aboard The Azteca 6, Part 4

Welcome Back. I think we better wrap this up today. We are now about 25 miles out to sea and we are getting dangerously close to happy hour. We can’t miss that, especially with this story to tell.

If you are new to this story, you may want to start here.

I keep forgetting to mention that on every boat in their fleet, before they can drop a net, they need to have an inspector on board to certify the catch as Dolphin Free. You could see him watching and noting things done during the entire process. More about Dolphins later.

Remember this is just a trial to make sure the equipment is working properly but so far we’ve watched them find a school of Tuna, and catch up to it with the ship. With the help of the chopper and the speed boats they have herded the fish into the mile long net they have set. Now we have to get our catch locked up in the net, then on the ship and down in the wells. Once the wells are full we can go home to our senoritas. To gather 1200 tons of Tuna could take from 1 to 10 weeks depending on how good they are at their craft and how lucky they are this trip.

The skiff brings it’s end of the net around and the ship throw them a line.

I’m hoping I get a copy of this guys video. If I do, I’ll put it on this post for us all to enjoy.

The line is connected to the cables that are on the net. One cable on the bottom of the net, that one closes the net bottom to make more like a bag, and one on the top. Then the winches go to work.

Now let’s watch the pile of net grow on the deck.

It’s amazing to watch the process here. The bottom chain comes off as the net reaches the ship.

They are laying that net down so that it is ready to go again as soon as it’s in.

Remember, not that long ago we had a mile of net out there.

And now it’s all on the ship, ready to go again.

Let’s get that skiff loaded so we can go and catch some real fish.

That panga is the boat they brought us out to the ship with this morning. They’ve been dragging it behind us with two fisherman in it┬ábehind the ship all day. Once we get back to two or three miles off shore that’s our ride home.

We’ve said our “Goodbyes”, we’re on the panga and headed for home. What an amazing day! I feel like my whole face must be one giant smile. I look over at Bob, his is the same.

Between Bob & I we took a couple of hundred pictures over the course of the day. In the album below we look at a little more than half of them.

One last thing before we go, one more time:

Andan, thankyou for one hell of a day!