We’re snuggled into the Flying J in Franklin, Indiana, just 400 miles from the Canadian border. On our 250 mile run from Nashville to Franklin yesterday we discussed, in detail, our last six months covering the best and “not quite” best adventures of the trip.
We left Grimsby, Ontario on October 21 and since then have visited 15 States, slept in 12 of them in and stayed at 31 different RV parks plus a few Flying J’s and Wal-Marts.
We’ve visited a brewery, numerous brew pubs, and dozens of attractions. I don’t know why beer comes up first but it always does. We also ran into lots of good friends, saw dozens of attractions, walked dozens of cool beaches and froze our butts off for a few weeks.
- Best RV Park: We both agree on this one Gulf Shores State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama.
- Biggest Disappointment RV Park, or should I just say “worst”: Sunshine Holiday Daytona RV Resort. Our site is covered in dog poop between two absolute beater RV’s and more. They call themselves a “An Encore Super Park” Encore needs to look up the word “Super” in a dictionary. Our number two in worst parks was also an Encore park near Sarasota called Rambler’s Rest RV Resort. They lost all the points when they insisted the lot next to the sewage treatment plant was the best we would get. After much discussion they begrudgingly found us another.
- Best Food: Oyster House, Gulfport, Mississippi where we had the best baked oysters of our lives. Our second best meal was when we had Prime Rib in our new Ninja cooker. Right next to that was the Shrimp Boil served up by Ronnie and Donna Smith when we hooked up in Gulf Shores.
- Worst Food: Most southern fried food. Yuck!
- Best Attraction: National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, Florida tied with Brookgreen Gardens near Myrtle Beach.
- Biggest Record Setter: Mardi Gras, New Orleans. Coldest Mardi Gras since 1899 and wettest Mardi Gras EVER. Yay Vanstones, you know how to pick ’em. In spite of the weather we had a blast with our RVing buddies we hooked up with there.
- Best Thrift Store: Family disagreement here, Marilyn says Southern Thrift in Nashville (lots of flashy used clothing in Nashville). I got a great deal on a pressure washer at the Family Thrift Store in Magnolia, Mississippi so that’s mine.
- Best Beach. we saw dozens of great beaches this year from Virginia Beach in Virginia, then down the Atlantic coast through Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. From there we moved to Florida’s Gulf coast, then Alabama and Mississippi. We choose Fort Pickens National Park, Pensacola, Florida
- Best Beer. We did the tour of the Abita Springs Brewery and I fell in love with Abbey Ale. Now that’s good beer! At 8% you don’t want many, but smoooth
Did I mention the laughs? Marilyn and I are having a great time!
I’m going to stop now. First we need to plan our summer back in Canada and then start working on our next adventure.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” -Ernest Hemingway